Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Year in Review

Well, not really.  But I thought I'd mention some of the music I discovered in the last year.  As you may recall, last year I started trying to branch out from the Pete Seeger and Laurie Berkner area.  I've continued to pick up something here and there.

  First, the Fiona Apple CD I got last year has remained a favorite.  It's SO good.  If you didn't rush out on my last recommendation, you should do so NOW.  Led mostly by Pandora.com, I've found a few other things I dig:

  The Fruit Bats are very groovy.  kind of like early Pink Floyd (the stuff you've never heard) or XTC sung by the Grateful Dead.  Really great.  Check them out.

Rilo Kiley is in a similar vein to Fiona and Nellie McKay.  Female vocalist, pop music, thoughtful lyrics.  It's got a good beat, you can dance to it, I give it a 9.  The lead singer, Jenny Lewis, has done some solo stuff that sounds good, but I don't yet have an album of hers.

Another singer for those who like this sound is Neko Case.  "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood" is a great album.  I also got "The Tigers have Spoken" but I don't like it as much. It borders on country

What's that?  You can't get enough chick bands?  Why, my friend, have you heard The Ditty Bops?  Not to be confused with The Doodle Bops.  They have kind of a Squirrel Nut Zippers/ Andrews Sisters thing going on.  Very singable.  Very awesome.

Cute, sure, but not enough blood?  Then try Kimya Dawson!  She has a bathtub of blood for you!  On first listen, you think "Wow, cool voice, great music, this is fun."  Then you hear the lyrics and you think, "I'm going to kill myself."  Then you listen really well and you realize that it's actually very hopeful and strong.  And, dare I say it again?  Yes.  Awesome.

And our final entry: Camera Obscura.  Apparently they're heavily Belle and Sebastian influenced, but I've only just discovered B&S ( I know!  Have I been under a rock?).
Melodic, dreamy, and again with the awesome. I am easily awed apparently.

There.  New tunes for you.  Get busy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Format :

http://www.amazon.com/Interventions-Lullabies-Format/dp/B0000DD51N/sr=1-2/qid=1167425810/ref=sr_1_2/002-7392221-1209663?ie=UTF8&s=music

Pure pop goodness.  With angst.

Anonymous said...

OK, I"ve made my list.. as I've heard of NONE of these, I'm going to go sample a few... Thanks!!!!

Followers