Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Friday, December 15, 2006

First Night of Hanukkah

Just back from the annual Brown family latke and wine fest.  Yummy and chaotic, as usual.   The kids had a good first night of Hanukkah, I think.  Ben got the fargin' Lego Star Wars MTT he wanted soooo badly.  Of course it was long since retired, so I was always bidding against Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.  So I had to wait for one that was missing its box and instructions and a few pieces.  Happy Hannukah, kid!  But he didn't seem to care, and is over the moon with it.  I gave Julianna her stuffed snowy owl, over whose name she is agonizing.  Recent attempts: Henna and Moon.  We'll see.  How 'bout Snowy McOwlypants?  Moooom.  Lily got this cute little fairy playhouse set that she declared "Just what I've always wanted!"

Tomorrow night is Steve's company holiday party.  I needed silver shoes, so Lily and I went on Slipper Quest 06 this afternoon.  She's a game little shopper when she's in the mood. She was driven to get me these shoes.  I guess silver slippers are just so far outside the realm of what her Dansko/Birkenstock ma ever wears, she'd best jump at the chance to get me in something pretty.  In the shoe store, she'd pick out some shoe she thought would suit me. "Please just try it on, mommy!  please!"  "Honey, it's a size 6 black clog with a 3 inch heel.  I'm looking for a size 9, 9 1/2 flat silver slipper."  "Please?"  Feeling like an ugly stepsister is always good for the soul, right?  Anyway, it was no easy task as it appears that women have decided that if it's cold and icy out, the practical shoe choice is a stilleto, strappy sandal.  It is December.  I shall cover my toes.

I do. not. get. high heels.  I seem them as aesthetically interesting.  As art, they can have really lovely lines.  But I could say the same for a 1930s Sunbeam toaster, and never get the urge to wear one on my foot.  They make you walk funny.  They hurt.  And don't give me that  "Oh, I have a pair of 4 inch heels and I could wear them all day!"  You and I have very different standards of comfort.  If you routinely put your foot in a vice, a slight easing of the pressure probably DOES feel good.  But I spend mydays in shoes designed to feel better than barefoot, so suddenly tilting up into Barbie feet feels unnatural and unpleasant and I Will. Not. Do. It.  I can swing an inch, maybe inch and a half for an hour or so. But for multi-hour?  Flat.  And closed.  It shouldn't be hard. 

It was, but I did find a pair of silver beaded ballet flats.  I cut off the bow on the toe b/c 40 year old women should not have bows on their toes.  And even though I still have a year's leeway, I don't look it, so better to be safe.  I'm sure I'll be fabulous and sure footed.  I'll post pics.

No comments:

Followers