Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Friday, January 13, 2006

The Search for Dog

Sixteen animals just isn't enough.  I mean, how could it be?  We need a dog.  Long ago, back when Julianna believed herself to be a dog and wore a dog collar every day and ate out of a bowl on the floor and walked around with a cheese stick sideways in her mouth and stopped wearing dresses b/c she couldn't crawl properly in them, I told her we could get a dog when she was eight years old.  Her obsession has transferred to rodents now, but even so, when she turned 8, she said, "Hey, about that dog..."  I said, "We can't get a dog until Lily is potty trained.  This has happened. So okay.

Steve is...unenthusiastic.  He's willing to go along, providing he is not expected to provide so much as a head pat or kind word (lest you think him Cruellor DeVille, you should hear him cooing over the guinea pigs and Maggie the cat, whom he calls his Princess.  So, he might be gay, but he's totally not mean).  Given that that is the deal my mom usually worked out when my dad tried to bring home yet another critter, I'm okay with it.  The search begins.

Because it is the way I do everything, I had to read lots of books and lots of websites and ask tons of advice because when I contact the rescues and/or breeders, they have to know that I am a Good Pet Owner.   They must think "I only wish I could give her all of our dogs, because she will clearly provide the very best care.  Instead, we'll just make sure she gets the Best One."  Because our house is over-run with foster rodents, we can't have a breed that has been bred to hunt rats.  Not that I could ever smoke enough crack to think a Jack Russel is a good match for us.  If our house were much, much bigger, an English Mastiff would be the way to go.  Friendly and largely inert.   Dogs looking for jogging partners should just keep on going.

I want the dog to be small enough that I can pick it up when I need to.  As my kids get bigger and heavier, I see the advantages of just being able to MOVE the creature that you need moved.  I don't need a purse-dog, although I must say I was WAY ahead of the curve on this.  I wanted one before all those LA skanks started toting them around.  So now I'll just go back to my plan of carrying a chicken in a baby sling when I'm old and eccentric.  But until then...the dog.  Smallish, not over 35 lbs.  Friendly, outgoing, confident.  A sorority dog.  Hm.  Looks like I might be trying to find a dog to be my Front Man.  Here, talk to my dog!  Leave me alone!  If I can train him to make phone calls, my life will be complete.

I really want the dog now, as opposed to once Lily's in school, because I think Ben would really benefit.  Boy and His Dog and all that.  Of course, I'll be home with it and Julianna wants to do 4H dog training with it, so it probably won't give Ben the time of day and will just make him cry even more.  So, I'll add to my wish list: "Will sleep in Ben's bed every night."

So, dog people, toss out your favorites.  DC/Balitmore people, tell me some rescues.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corgis are smallish, mellowish, and generally pretty happy.  If you get one, you can NOT name it Thatcher, though.  I totally call that name for when I get one.  "This is my Corgi, Thatcher..."  

Anonymous said...

Bichon Frisees are really smart, but they tend to bond with only one family member, and the grooming is tough.  McNab Sheppards are great family dogs.  We have some sort of fox terrier and she's a royal pain in the ass.  Totally high strung.

My next dog is a bassett or corgi.  

Check out the listings on petfinder.com - they have searches of shelters and rescues in local areas by breed and weight.

Anonymous said...

I think you are way on track with the Clumber Spaniel - although they may be a bit too big.  

(I would also selfishly vote that you got a female, so that Finn will learn to love her.)

Anonymous said...

Bernese Collie -- know nothing about them, though. My Maggie wants one b/c the stuffed animal puppy one that she got for a neighbor as a bday gift was CUTE! @@ Says the child who is NOT fond of dogs.

Corgis are CUTE and smart, but do requiring some grooming. And the herding/barking would drive me bats.

Followers