Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

My chicken comes home to roost

I am now a chicken farmer!  Chicken, singular.  As in Mildred.  She came home from boarding school today. But no more days of lacrosse and smoking and eating disorders for her.   Henceforth, she will be a homeschooled chicken.  I finished the pen and the coop just in time for what promises to be nasty weather.

Hmm...I think this thing is a chicken...


Behold, Two Gables!


I made it out of an old dresser I found on bulk trash day.  All the drawers are out, making nice roosts.  Look, Mildred digs it:


And really, what could be more white trash than keeping chickens in old furniture out in the yard?  You can take the gal out of the hills...but she'll just move to different hills and get chickens.  See, I even have the yard littered with plastic toys--totally for authenticity's sake.  I mean, we'd never just leave stuff out for no reason:


Mildred was very happy to be out in a yard, digging up yummy worms and going Bok Bok.  Hopefully foxes won't eat her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, she is beautiful!  Congratulations.  Thanks for wearing the flannel shirt to complete the picture.  

Anonymous said...

Mildred looks like Cher wearing that black Bob Mackie number with the big headpiece.   I'm not sure if that's a compliment for Mildred OR Cher, but it is an observation.  

I like the use of coreplast election signs for roofing.  I'm starting to understand why Brent won't throw anything away.  Ever.  "I'll find a use for it."  Seriously, did they even buy you kids toys or just tell you to go play baseball with an old soda can and a rusted-off tailpipe?

Anonymous said...

I think Mildred has kind of a Cruella DeVille thing going on.

We had an old dresser on our back porch for MONTHs.  Finally had it hauled off, only for me to have to turn around and cart a new one home.  Brent is dead-on.  Throw nothing away!  We actually went and gathered campaign signs after the election.  Coroplast ROCKS.

Anonymous said...

Andi...just for the record...I KEEP nothing!  I throw EVERYTHING away!!  I don't know what went wrong with the others, but if you look in our parents basement, they keep nothing either! =)

Anonymous said...

dude, I'm so jealous! Your chicken is dreamy. We have neighbors that have chickens, sometimes, but they seem to have eaten them, as I haven't heard them in a while.
I want bunnies and guinea pigs, but dh is unhelpful.

Followers