Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Musing on spring

Why do some people not like dandelions?  Why, given the choice between solid green and green with fuzzy yellow polka dots do some choose the former?  I walked down to Bev's this morning and I so enjoyed walking through dandelions and violets.  I love spring flowers--tulips, lilacs, the usual--but those little wildflowers just make me happy.  When I see the occasional lawn that is utterly devoid of yellow spots, I think, "Hm.  Small golf course."  And they're such cool little guys anyway--growing to just under your mower's height.  How can you not love a clever flower?  And so tasty are the greens!  Embrace the dandelion!  Before it destroys you!

I will note here, with pride, that if you google "devil's jockstrap" I'm the #2 hit.  I think that goes in the ol' alumni update for sure.

Back to spring--we have baby hamsters!  One of our fosters gave birth the day after her arrival.  She seemed untroubled by the process.  We went in to check on her and she was climbing around on her igloo with one baby hanging out and another one at the foot of the igloo, clawing at the air.  They are not cute.  We left her to it, as we were told it was stress that sometimes causes them to snack on tasty babies.  Angela told us that we could expect her to be grumpy and scarce at first.  Then, when the babies get mobile, she'll spend all her time trying to keep them in the nest.  Eventually,we'll find her sacked out in the corner, asleep.  At that point, you are free to handle the babies b/c now she hates them.  I find that it's kind of a speeded up version of human motherhood.  So now we're still in the stage where she cries all the time and doesn't even bother buttoning her shirt because the damned babies are just going to want to nurse again in 10 minutes anyway, so why bother?  Do we think she still looks fat?  Do we even love her any more?  could someone please just hand the water bottle down or chuck a sunflower seed in her direction because DAMN she is tired.  Is Oprah on?   Soon they'll be really cute though.  I shall take many photos.

I don't want that to frighten any out there in my reading community who might be pregnant for the first time (YAY!).  But yeah, it totally, totally sucks for two months. After about 6, 7 weeks, you'll get a shower and then you'll feel a lot better.  Really.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually made an involuntary noise of horror when I saw the picture of the hamster babies.  And way to capture motherhood in a nutshell.

Anonymous said...

You are now the #1 hit for "devil's jockstrap"!! Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Those hamster babies made me barf a little in my mouth.

I was musing about dandelions the other day, too.  They ARE pretty and hearty and I so wish I could love them.  BUT, they are a non-native invasive species, so I must hate them along with phragmites and the gypsy moth.  BOO!

Anonymous said...

Andi is a botanoxenophobe.

Followers