Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Isn't that one of your dad's friends?

One of my favorite old Emo Phillips gags goes a little like this:  I was walking in the park last week and I saw Billy, from my first grade class. I hadn't seen him since first grade and I ran over to him, shouting "BILLY!" and I clapped him on the back.  This knocked him down and he began to cry.  And then I realized, Billy would have grown up too.


Sometimes I forget that people who were cool young grownups when I was in college are now...old.  God help us, this is Morrissey (thanks to Pink is the New Blog):



Words (almost) fail me.  I was still picturing this guy:



(I tried to find this pic of him in a sheer, tight fitting top, touching his own nipples, but that's just not a Google search I can face).  But I imagine he's had the same 20 years that I have, eh?  Doesn't he totally look like he's about to yell at you, drunkenly, for denting the car?  I can smell the whiskey on his breath.  I imagine he starts to sound like a nasty version of the Lucky Charms leprechaun..."Oh aye, meat IS murrrder but there's no meat in ale, lassie!"  Oops, made him Scottish.  That's just where my head is now, I guess. Can't even do accents on the computer.  I can't quite convey how stunning I found these pictures.  I knew he was still performing.  And obviously people do age, but DAMN.  I just never really thought about it. 

Does he still do the poor waif routine?  Does this paunchy old dude really sing the same maudlin songs he sang at 25?  Because while it might have been a little bit cute then, it wouldn't be now.  If he's still singing Unlovable, well, it's time for meds.

"Last night I dreamt, somebody loved me....and left me some Cheez-its!"


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, ew. I feel sorry for you that you had to suffer throught those Google pics. I could have gone my whole life not seeing Morrissey the grown-up.

Anonymous said...

Make it stop.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord.  How can he be that old when I'm still 20?

Followers