Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Reunion Weekend Part Two

I went with the pink skirt.  I was slightly overdressed, but not notably so.  And it was worth it to have my imaginary friends with me, since a computer friend in Ohio had lent me the skirt.  I was even able to wear my shoes the whole time, impressive considering that it has been YEARS since I wore any sort of heel at all.  I won't be saving up for Jimmy Choos any time soon, but at least I have a pair of girly shoes I can call up when I need them.  Pictures when I get back home...

Most commonly heard phrase last night: This is so surreal.  And it was strange.  It's weird to see people at 18, blink, and they're nearly 40.  Which, apparently, means I got old too.  Less hair, more belly.  Except for THOSE girls, you know the ones, they have more hair and less belly.  I don't like those girls.  I saw one woman I'd been friendly with and I told her she looked great b/c she did.  She said, "Oh, I do not, I know I got fat."  I told her that I wasn't impressed by people who had clearly been working at their look.  I said, "You look like a grown-up woman who still looks great."  I thought she was going to hug me.  And then she returned the compliment by saying "Where do you live now?" and when I told her, she said, "REally?  I thought you must live in a city because you look so chic."  So we're in love now.

Speaking of which...My old boyfriend showed up.  He graduated two years ahead of me, so it was extra freaky to have him show.  He just dropped into say hi.  He was head drum major, I was in the band front as a pom pom girl...how very very high school.  It was nice to see him, let him see that I was no longer a lithesome lass with long blonde tresses.  So just get on with your life, dude.  Really.

Odd thing at reunions--having people tell stories about you and you don't remember what on earth they're talking about.  I did?  Really?  Me?  You're sure it was me?  And then someone else backs up the story.  Memory is strange.  What each of us recalls about the chorus trip to Disney might actually reconstruct the whole trip, if we got together.  But I did NOT remember people getting beer.  There was a lot of underage drinking of which I was not a part.  I was a Good Girl. I had only one sip of alcohol--champagne at Gabi's house on New Year's Eve.  That's it.  But, judging from the slide show, there was a lot of partying.  Turns out I was much less popular than I thought.  But I didn't know at the time, so I guess it's okay.  Hmpf.  Losers didn't know what they were missing.

The awards presentation went really well.  Well enough that Troy, who'd backed out of being the emcee, told Barbara that it was very well received and he wished he'd done it after all.  Neener neener, you big coward.  And the worthless waste of air that I remain bitter about and was very careful to give NO award to, b/c she's had far more than her share of attention in life?  Still a horrible bitch.  Only without feathered hair.  I received validation when today, at the family breakfast and tour of the high school, Steve said, "Wow that woman in the white shirt, with the little girl in a red dress is a terrible mother."  yep, that was her.  Telling a 2 year old that she was going to leave her in this really mean tone.  See?  I told you.  Me and Harry Potter.  We know evil when we see it, even if no one else believes.

The tour of the high school was odd.  Three years ago the school was basically gutted and built anew.  It's MUCH nicer than the high school I attended.  Hell, it's nicer than the college I attended.  Except for one thing.  The library has almost no books.  What is up with that?  It's a library.  The Latin root MEANS books.  Rows and rows of computers.  It pisses me off.  Does that make me some kind of luddite?  I mean, books are books and computers are computers.  There is some overlap, sure, but they aren't the same.  Reading is nice.  I don't think they had ANY fiction.  That just sucks.

I'll post pics soon...

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Deana!  I had that same weird phenomenon of how people looked when I went to my 20th reunion last month.  

Anonymous said...

Wadduya mean no book????  I don't think they teach reading anymore.

Followers