Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Friday, August 12, 2005

Back from the beach

We made a spur-of-the-moment trip to Delaware to stay with my folks at their house on the Delaware Bay.  They bought the place for 35K cash, I believe, in 1980 or so, using  money my mom got following a nasty car accident (trade a knee for some beachfront, anyone?).  Just a little 1950s cottage, but right on the beach.  I've always adored it, but in spite of its flaws.  It's pretty ramshackle.  Not quite Kaczynski,  but there's always some sort of repair work going on.  I'm sure it's just a HUGE pain in the butt to my folks but I'm so glad they've hung onto it b/c I just feel my cares fall away when I walk over the dune.  Dorky?  yeah, but you've not been there.  It's just NICE.  Which, I guess, explains why nearby properties are selling for 700K-1 mil.  Which makes it even nicer that the folks have hung onto it, however fiscally foolish that might be. 

The beach is called Primehook, it's between Slaughter beach and Broadkill beach.  Near the Murderkill River. No, really.   I think Wes Craven has a place there.

Ben was just in heaven.  He said, "I love this place" a dozen times and asked if we could have all future family vacations there.  Trash picker that he is, he just loved walking along finding crap.  Shells, rocks, seaweed, spent fireworks, empty shotgun shells...  I'm not quite at peace with not being able to see below the surface of the water.  I went in with Lily, but I just felt on edge, waiting for something to grab my ankle.  Something did bump me and I leapt to shore in one leap.  Probably not raising my Macho Mom score, esp. since Julianna had had to peel me off her head after a crab scuttled across my foot the evening before.  I mean, I'm not askeered a no crabs, it just...startled me.

Bugs, ew.  Why do nice places have to have bugs?  Flies that bite, sand fleas.  Wednesday night we had some sort of Amityville infestation of weeny little mothy things.   To think I used to live down there w/the windows open.  Youth is a time of perkier boobs and steelier nerves.

We hit the boardwalk, which I love eternally.  Actually, the Ocean City, Maryland one ranks better on sheer beach-cheezy-wondrousness, but since I grew up with Rehoboth, it remains dear to my heart.  The kids rode rides at Funland, the cheapest amusement park on earth and I wondered how it could be this hot and not have everything just melt.  Wretched.

Listened to more Harry Potter on the ride home. Loving it.  Don't tell me ANYTHING about it.


No comments:

Followers