Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Reunion weekend Part One

So I'm all alone at my folks house. Steve and the kids are at the ILs house in NJ.  Tonight is my 20 year high school reunion.  I went to an ice breaker thing at a sports bar last night.  soooo hard to recognize people you only half-knew 20 years ago.  I met my friend Mimi and her beau, Gary.  They're college professors in Washington state, so they're still cool.  At one point, Gary asked us if we noticed any old high school behaviors manifesting in the crowd. I looked around..."Well, just the fact that Mimi and I are at a table by ourselves making fun of everyone else..." 

I was put in charge of the "awards" part of the evening, so I studied the survey responses and came up w/some awards and then wrote a script to go with it. It was hard, really, to write something funny for a diverse audience.  I can't be too mean, but too nice just isn't funny.  I have new respect for Bruce Villanch. The guy who was going to be the presenter decided that the script was "too mean."  The other reunion committee people also thought it was funny, so they didn't just say, fine, make it up yourself.  They offered to clear the awards with the recipients before announcing them.  Still no dice.  So I'm doing it.  Ahem.  I'm going to need a martini in one hand and a cigarette in the other.  "Hey you guys.  I jus' wanna say that I hate all of you.  And I've been waiting 20 years for this!"

I'm hoping it will be fun.  I listened to the 80s mix CD Barbara burned to give out this evening.  I'm in charge of the "memoribilia" room, so I'm excused from having to mingle or dance.  Yay.  No I just have to finish making my necklace and decide between the little black dress and the big pink silk skirt...

 

No comments:

Followers