Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Friday, February 4, 2005

teeth, penis, hair

Busy day.  I had a 9:00 am dentist appt.  Lily was weeping because she couldn't go to the dentist.  Her appointments are more fun.  No one scolds her for not flossing or announces upcoming root canals.  AND she gets vampire teeth and a new toothbrush when it's over.    I just get guilt and bloody gums.  At every dental appointment, I wonder what it would be like to stare into the eyes of the person rummaging around in my mouth...does anyone ever do that?  How unsettling it would be.  I wish I had the guts to do it.

Then I had to zoom up to Hanover, PA to the bris of my best friend's son, Charlie.  For the non-Jew-literate among us, a bris is a ritual circumcision.  Genital mutilation with a schmear.  I hid in the kitchen for the snipping, but I got to hold a newborn, so it was worth it to me, if not to Charlie. Lily spied  me sniffing that yummy baby head and ran over saying, "Hey!  I you baby!  You hold me now!"   The trip is about an hour, on a two lane road.  Each time we passed a cemetary, either Lily or Ben would call out "Graveyard!" with excitement.  Ben would then ask if we could visit it. Now I do enjoy looking at the old stones, but I swear I don' t need to see every single one up close.  And of course  car trip means more of hearing Ben's thoughts (in between snorks.  He has the most irritating post-nasal drip, it's like torture).  "Why does the Headless Horseman carry a sword?"  "Can we go inside a mausoleum?"  "Are dead people wearing clothes?"   What 5 year old doesn't want the DVD series of "Six Feet Under?"

Then I had to zoom back for a cut and color appointment.  Going to a planning meeting for my 20th high school reunion tomorrow.  I'm totally not the reunion-planning type, but the woman heading it up was a friend and I want a sneak peak to see who got fat and old.  Not me, of course.  And I'm certainly still a natural blonde.  With perky bosoms.   I swear I nearly nodded off during the hair cut.  I sit still for that long and my body thinks it must be bed time.  But no rest for the weary--had to dash off and get Julianna from school.  Then home.  Make dinner.  Call mom and tell her we won't be coming until tomorrow.  You people are lucky I make time for you at all.

No comments:

Followers