Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Tuesday, February 1, 2005

Happy Birthday Ben!

Ben turns 5 today.  This time 5 years ago, I was on my hands and knees in the kids' section of Borders, wagging my "tail" to get through a contraction while almost-3 year old Julianna looked at Spot books nearby.  We walked over to Sports Authority so that I could buy a stopwatch to time the contractions  and know when to call my doula, Melissa.  They were pretty far apart, but strong enough that I was stopping to grip countertops until they passed.  What a sight I must have been...

As it turned out, those contractions STAYED pretty far apart, but long.  In retrospect, I was probably having one and then another, and then a break.  Whatever it was, I never got near that birthing center in Hagerstown.  Ben was born about 10 minutes after I staggered into the ER, naked from the waist down and wearing an open bath robe.  Now THAT was a sight to take your mind off the long wait to see an ER doc about a sprained finger.

Ben has continued through life much the way he came into it--he waits until he's absolutely sure it's time and then BAM.  Didn't fully potty train until 4 and a half.  But when he did, he was done.  No bed wetting, no accidents, just done.  Didn't walk until 17 and a half months.  But then he got up and took off.  Went from "buh" and "da" at  nearly 2 years old, to "Pardon me, do you have any grey poupon" in about a week.  Maddening at the time, but amazing with hindsight.  And still maddening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, now this is going to be big fun!  Good work, Deana!  

Janet

Followers