Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Hunkered down at Greenberg Pass

School opened 2 hours late today.  Luckily, someone from the school called to tell me.  I don't know why I didn't check my email for closings or turn on the radio.  I mean just LOOK at it:

Then the wind kicked up and the snow started drifting--3 flakes high in some places!  Steve called once he got to work.
"Did you make it okay?"
"Only got stuck twice."
"Whew.  I was worried you'd have to resort to cannibalism."
"Resort?"

I don't feel much safer inside.  We have a bit of an infestation.  I came into the kitchen the other day to find THIS on my fridge.


Judging from the lurid colors, they're toxic, so I'm keeping my distance.  Best not to try to clean it up, I think.

I observed Ben's class yesterday.  I swear I was ready to go become a Montessori kindergarten teacher.  They were so flippin' cute.  They were all just beavering away on their mats on the floor, working alone or in groups and just BUSY.  Adorable.  Periodically, one or two would come check me out.  They're so physical, these random kids who don't know me, climbing into my lap.  Heidi and Logan came up and announced that they could each touch their noses with their tongues.  And showed me, of course.  I told them I could, too, and showed them.  AND one-upped them by wiggling my ears.  Heidi pointed out that I could only touch the bottom of my nose, while she could touch the tip of hers.  "Well, sure, I can only TOUCH my nose w/my tongue, I can't PICK it."  Hey!  Great idea Ms. Deana! Right up the nostril it went.  "Well, that will free up a lot of time for you, I imagine.  Now you won't have to waste all that time picking your nose w/your fingers and then eating your boogers.  Very efficient."  Logan marveled that such a very cool person came in such an uncool package.  "Heidi thinks I should be her boyfriend," he confided, "because we can both touch our noses with our tongues." Marriages have been based on less, my friend.  Heidi piped up, "I'm the only one in my family that can do it!"  Logan said, "I'm the only one in MY family, too!"  "See," Heidi pointed out, "that's why he should be my boyfriend!"  "I'm afraid you're stuck, Logan," I told him.  "At least Heidi's nice, too.  No one else is going to want a couple of circus freaks like you."  Heidi got right up in my face, "WHAT? Circus freaks?!"  She loved it.  She chanted, "Come see the fabulous circus freaks!" while striking a variety of poses.  All the while, she was wearing green track pants cuffed over her knees, purple socks, and red clogs.  Too small, stained, but clearly beloved Tshirt.  Very Junie B. Jones.  I'm going to have to work on Ben's nose touching, b/c I really want her for a daughter in law.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well crap.  If you keep telling cute stories like that, you'll dissuade me from leaving teaching.  

Quick let's refocus on NCLB, mass manipulation of children, & parents who shouldn't have been allowed to reproduce.   Ahhhhh... much better.   I'm moving on.

Kindergartners (especially Montessori kids) are amazingly fun, aren't they?  

Anonymous said...

Nope. That didn't dissuade me AT ALL from wanting to teach!! Then again...I have wretched middle schoolers....they loose their cuteness about 2 minutes into class.

Anonymous said...

Clearly you did not understand FCPS.  Actual white things fell out of the sky last night.  Luckily they disappeared before my daughter had to go to school.

Anonymous said...

eh, the snow pics. are purty, BUT I want to see a pic. of Heidi.

Anonymous said...

Heidi can be seen in the post from Feb. 1st.  In the first photo, she's on the far right, sucking on her fingers.  On the next one, she's the one that looks like Junie B.  Skirt askew, toes turned in.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, the photo actually makes the street look worse than it actually was.  It wasn't just clear of snow, it was *dry*.   There was no ice, no snow, nothing.  

Followers