Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Overheard at the Salon

My hair stylist is not chatty.  When I first started going to her, I felt like I should try to make chit chat b/c that's what one does at the salon.  But she'd answer any direct questions and let it drop.  Just like I would.  Bless her.  So I can sit in silence and read or think or...eavesdrop.

The stylist next to us was chatting with her client:

"I remember the first time I shampooed a comb-over.  I wasn't really paying attention when he came in and I just started to shampoo him.  And it was like all his hair just washed off!  There was just this long swirl of hair in the sink!  I nearly screamed, I didn't know what happened for like a second. Like, I'd washed his hair off!"

She went on, describing how she'd had to hold this long, thin hank of hair to shampoo it.  She mimed the odd little washing-a-sock-in-the-sink motion it too.  But I was just so taken with that moment of My God What Have I Done? horror as the hair washed off his scalp.

My dad sported that comb-over far longer than he should have.  He'd stick a base ball cap on when outside and sometimes the combed-over part would go straight down, reaching his shoulder, like he had considered becoming a hippie, but couldn't quite commit.  How does a barber keep from saying, "Look.  Homer. You aren't fooling anyone.  Let me trim it off.  Geez."  Eventually he did, bless him.  There was a girl in one of my grad school classes that had the I Do Not Care To Attract Men super short fauxhawky haircut and a long, braided rattail.  How I longed to creep up behind her and snip it off.  It would have been one of those random acts of kindness she no doubt supported on her bumper.

No comments:

Followers