Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Well, it amuses me anyway

I'm aware that my seasonal tally of catalogs is tiresome to some.  But it does kind of boggle my mind just how many are out there, looking for ME.  And how they seem to have no idea who I am.

Yesterday:

The Company Store--linens.  so why that name that conjures up being unable to leave a job that is crushing your soul b/c you owe so much to the company store.  Is this a positive association to people?  And they also have "Company Kids" which is just too sad to contemplate.

Plow and Hearth--assorted crap.  page 3 has fleece socks.  Page 19 has chocolate hedgehogs (at long last!).  Page 40 has curtains.  53 has fireplace screens (HEARTH!),  page 66 has twee garden decor (PLOW!). page 71 has sleds.  So  little rhyme or reason. Polar fleece and plaid seem to be the unifying elements.

Eddie Bauer--You're too old for J. Crew.  Enjoy.

Duluth Pack--new one!  Rugged bags for rugged individuals.  The ones pictured in all my other catalogs, but residing not beneath my roof.

Catalog for Philanthropy--  yeeeah.  Oh, it's just a list of small charities, in case money is burning a hole in my pocket.  So that it can escape.

American Science and Surplus--best catalog since the old Archie McPhee changed over to glossy and lame.  www.sciplus.com  Enjoy!  Surely you need an inflatable moose head?

Brookstone--expensive crap you give to people you know nothing about.

Today's haul:

Herrington "The Enthusiast's Catalog"--never heard of it.  Enthusiasts of what, exactly?  According to the cover, clogs and watches.  Seriously weird catalog.  Bamboo towels, Merrell clogs, Masai warrior shoes, NASCAR hawaiian style shirts, Johnny Carson DVDs, puzzles...all I can figure is that it's for fogies.  that's the only common theme I can find.  Weird.

Sharper Image-- "I really have no taste and no interest in the recipients of my gifts.  All I care is that it be CLEAR that I spent a lot of money."

PBS Home Video--Because BBCAmerica can't run EVERY show ever shown in England.

2 identical copies of Sierra Trading Post--In case I mislaid the one from Monday.

Big ass Sears WishBook sized Land's End catalog--yeah, I only buy on clearance, and on-line, so save the tree, folks.

LLBean--see above

And oooo, bestfor last, The Noble Collection--It has this super complicated statue of Dumbledore on the front.  And a Lord of the Rings chess set on the back (hows THAT for a perfect convergence of nerdiness?)  I can't quite decide which irony I prefer--the fact that you can order The ONE Ring in silver or gold and there are, presumably, several for sale or the Spartan shield money clip.  You decide.

No comments:

Followers