Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Gift that Keeps on Giving

Steve went to London a few weeks ago on business.  He called the day before he was to return home, trying to get advice on presents for the kids.  I just told him to get Tshirts or baseball caps and they'd be fine, but he's a nice Daddy and wanted to get them something else as well (I already knew he had a suitcase full of Cadbury for me, so what care I of the children?).  He told me he'd gotten Lily a book of Charlie and Lola , Ben a baseball hat, and a stuffed animal for Julianna.  T-shirts for all three.  Yay, everyone is happy.  Ah, but the happy had not even begun.

He got home and gave out the gifts.  And thus, it began, as he handed Julianna her stuffed animal.  "A BEAVER!  Why, it's the cutest beaver I've ever seen!  What will I name my beaver?"  to each new person:  "I have a beaver!" or, better, "Do you want to see my beaver?"  "Would you like to pet my beaver?  It's very soft!"

At the swim meet the next day, to Denise: I have a beaver!  My dad brought it from London.  It's the cutest beaver ever!
Denise, biting the insides of her cheeks: Does your beaver have a name?
Julianna: Yes, I named her Daffodil!
Denise: Not Denise?
Me:  I named MY beaver Denise.
Denise: you better shut up.

And ever since, we'll get beaver related humor.  She's prone to just randomly saying things and sometimes it's "I have a beaver!"  Steve swears he didn't even know it was a beaver when he bought it (that's right, away from home a week and he forgets what a beaver looks like), but it's comedy gold, I tells ya.  Highly recommended.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't do prop comedy.  I leave that to Deana and Carrot Top.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh... yes.   Humor based on your children's innocence.    Let me warn you my friend... this will not last long.  Enjoy every moment of your beaver humor as young Miss Juilianna and her friends will soon be mocking you.    ...tick ...tick... tcik... tick... tick...

I share this only because I have now fallen victim to my teenagers rolling their eyes and laughing uncontollably at a comment I have innocently made.    *big sigh*    ~Christine  

Anonymous said...

How did Steve not know it was a beaver?  I need a photo of the thing.

Followers