Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope all the moms out there had a good day.  You probably spent it with your adorable children or something.  I used to make my mom breakfast in bed and I'd pour the cereal first, so that by the time the toast was done and the drink poured, the cornflakes were all soggy.  Mmm.  She ate it anyway because she's a good mommy.  Me?  I sent my children away.  It's become our Mother's Day routine.  Saturday afternoon, Steve takes the kids to his folks' house leaving me in the house alone.  This is my very favorite thing.

As soon as they left, I went out to the store for provisions (beer and ice cream.  duh.).  I had big plans to watch Cycle 3 of Top Model and drink beer.  So I came home, had an ice cream bar and watched (and had another ice cream bar.  And showed remarkable will power not to eat the last one, just to get it over with, you know. ).  Then I did some board reading, photo fiddling, had dinner, and had that last ice cream bar.  I was going to eat it sooner or later, right? I felt a bit sleepy at 7 and thought I'd lay down for a luxurious evening nap.  The breeze was coming in nicely and I lay down to read.  Ended up not napping, but got through several chapters in my book.  Nine o'clock, time to drink beer and  mock skinny girls.  Had a beer and some spicy chips.  Began to notice how scuzzy the family room was.  Well, I'll just sweep up so I can relax a bit.  Then it was two am and I'd totally rearranged, changed the curtains, and cleaned.  had a second beer so I could actually wind down and get some sleep.

Today, I made all new throw pillow covers, made a slipcover for a chair and cleaned the entryway.  Never did get that hammock time.  But you know what?  I'm lazy almost every day.  When the mania hits, it's best to hang with it b/c the house is only going to benefit from it once or twice a year.  It's gone now.  It'll be torture to even load the dishwasher from here on.  But it really was so nice to get something Done.  To not have my every move questioned and/or critiqued (I'm looking at you, Lily).  No one offered to "help".  No one dove into my dirt pile to retrieve a precious scrap of shiny.  No one hogged the television.  If Mother's Day came quarterly, maybe I'd catch up...

Now.  Non-ANTM fans can just move on to another blog.  See the sidebar for suggestions.  As I mentioned, I've just watched Cycle 3, the one I missed.  First--what a weird looking bunch of girls they were.  Not Naima-Cycle ugly, but odd nonetheless.  Second, I was struck by how much BETTER the show was.  Not just in terms of being entertaining, Jade from Cycle 7 was more entertaining that most anything, but as a show.  The structure was better, it was more convincing as a model training reality show instead of a staged dramarama.  New York is a far, far better setting.  It adds an extra bit of character to the show.  Having them live in a lovely, but still kind of crowded apartment/hotel works better than having them in the Real World house.  And speaking of characters--Janice.  It just doesn't work without Janice.  Miss J should be a teacher, not a judge.  And those who give instruction shouldn't judge.  See Project Runway for details.  I'd make an exception for Tyra, since it is her show.  And speaking of Tyra--she was in nearly every episode.  She had one-on-ones (or "cry for me" sessions) several times.  She was much more of a mentor.  They seemed to be teaching the girls about modeling, rather than just tossing them into photo shoots.

Finally, I want an all-crazy All Star cycle.  I want Lisa, Jade, Camille, Kathleen (the really dim girl who got eliminated first this season.  I was robbed), ...Help me out here Superfans.  Who should be in this house (a really cramped house preferably.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rearranging furniture at 2 AM?  Methinks you were channeling Amy Jo.  

Anonymous said...

What was the girl's name from cycle 2... Elise?  The one who went in the confessional and bitched out everyone else, including Miss J.  We should put her in there.  And the one from last season or the season before who had the terrible skin issue.  Crazy people love having diseased people around.

Anonymous said...

And Janice Dickinson has to live in the house, too.  She has to share a bathroom with the girls.  

Followers