Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Where's mama going with that hoe?

It was kind of cool and rainy this morning, which meant my garden MIGHT get a chance at life.  I went out to weed, thin the corn, mulch what I could get clear.  There's some sort of weed in my garden...I don't know WHAT it is, but if it was a plant we could eat, the Extension Service would be at my door, begging for my secret.  Lily came out to join me once she woke up.  She wanted to help weed, of course, but wanted to be RIGHT where I was.  I thought she might enjoy picking which corn plant was the biggest in each grouping, to help thin the row.  I showed her what I was doing.  I stumbled into a poor choice of words. "These are the baby corn plants that I'm throwing out."  stupid, stupid, stupid.  To her, I was choosing the least viable twin to abort.  "You're going to just frow them OUT?  Dere's nuffing wrong wis dem?  You're just frowing dem out?  Dey're not weeds?"  um...So I showed her where she could transplant the little rejects, the little angel corns.  What passes for cruelty in a vegetarian household.

Kudos to my Imaginary Friend, Amy for her Gardener's Soap. I was all kinds of filthy when I came inside and her soap scrubbed me back to White Woman in no time.  It's full of little seeds and oh, so scrubby.  Like having a dour German with a scrub brush right there in the shower with you.    As a side note--Ben brought that soap into the room last night and said, "Mom.  LOOK at this soap.  It's full of bugs."

"Honey, those are seeds, not bugs."

"Mom, this is a bug leg!"

"They are SEEDS.  Geez."

"Bug leg.  Right here."

"Oh, good lord, " I take the soap, "see, it's just seed...oh, that IS a bug leg.  but other than that, seeds."

Of course, there are pictures.  Of Lily in the garden, not me and the German in the shower.




she spotted Tiger Lilies and knew a photo op when she saw it...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can anyone ever again be as cute as they are at age 3?  

Anonymous said...

Oh, and also, wasn't the question, "Where's DADDY going with that ho?"  But I guess we already know the answer to that one.

Anonymous said...

OMG Deana, she's gorgeous !!

Anonymous said...

Cool garden.. and .. majorly gorgeous kid!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

She is scrumptious!  Plant more of her!  (Does she let you eat baby carrots? Or is that a crime too?)

Anonymous said...

Not the dreaded baby corn killer! <snicker> She is too cute for words.

And the photo, gah!, photo contest winner for SURE!

Followers