Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

It's all subjective...subjunctive

I think most moms have at least a few moments of "I think my kid might be kinda dumb."  And we have those "My kid is a fargin' GENIUS!" moments as well.  And sometimes we get to mix it up a little...

We were in Wonderbook, the used book store that has every video ever made--even The Hair Bear Bunch--for a buck a week.  I was checking out videos and buying some books.  A Distinguished Gentleman from central casting was next to me.  My 3 kids were yapping and zipping, as they do.  I, of course, was paying as little attention as I could, keeping just aware enough to avert disaster should it become necessary (as I do).  Ben was, apparently, talking to me, because Distinguished Gentleman said, "How delightful to hear the use of the subjunctive in a young man of what, 7? 8?"

"Him?  He's 5."

"Oh my, very impressive! You clearly speak very well to him.

Now I'm totally self-conscious about my speech and trying not to say something uneddicated and trying to pay and get my kids out before I inadvertently curse or say "dude."  As I hustle everyone out, I notice that Ben is wearing his shirt both inside out AND backwards, his jeans are on backwards (yes, fly up the butt), shoes are on the wrong feet, and he has a shark stamped in the middle of his forehead.  But at least he speaks in the subjunctive. Whatever that is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Subjunctive Junction, what's your function?

Followers