Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Vanload o' boys

I headed out to Glen Echo Park with my friend Lara.  Between us, we had four boys and Lily.  August is Lily's age,  then we had Ben (6.5), Wolfgang (7.5), and Hunter (7 ish, not her kid so I don't know his age).  On the way, sitting at a traffic light, I see a thistle bush with about 15 butterflies on it.  I point it out to the kids:

Me: Hey guys, look at all the tiger swallowtails on that thistle bush!

Wolfgang: Do they fight?

Hunter: Warrior butterflies!

Ben:  That would be awesome!

Lara: Guys.  They're butterflies.  They're pretty.

But we'd lost them.  Off they'd gone on a warrior butterfly tangent.  For the record, that doesn't happen when I have a vanload of girls.

On another note, Lily insisted on calling Hunter "Hiker."  Similarly, Stacey has a mother's helper named Stormie (no, it's true).  Lily calls her "Windy."  She met a kid at the lake named Autumn--Lily called her "Season."  Sophisticated commentary on bad names or processing error?  You decide.

Glen Echo Park rose out of the Chataqua movement in the late 1800s.  It still has its original 1921 carousel w/calliope.  I made a video on my camera so that my father-in-law could enjoy it whenever he likes.  Here you go, Grandpa!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four boys + one girl, huh?    Welcome to the insanity that I like to refer to as "MY LIFE."    Did the word, "HANDFUL?" come to mind too?    (http://lifesahandful.blogspot.com/)

Lily is *obviously* intuitive enough to realize that although she could not possibly compete with the brawn of four testosterone filled individuals; she certainly could baffle them by her brilliant creativity.

That girl's YEARS ahead of her time, I tell you!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice video, but it needs more cow bell.

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, Grandpa  only viewed the video 10 times before breakfast this morning.
Grandma

Anonymous said...

had to look up that movement you referred to...  cool

Followers