Once upon a time, a blog was started at AOL Journals. The scales fell from the eyes of The Creator and it was moved to Wordpress. Then Journals tanked and all old posts were moved here for safekeeping.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Wait! I know this one!

I've been here before.  Lily's birthday is tomorrow.  Her party is on Saturday.  On Tuesday, I suddenly realized that perhaps I should invite some children to join us for that party.  Problem is, it's so early in the school year that I don't know the kids well and I don't have a school directory.  I'm sorry, did someone just say, "Invite the whole class!"?  I'm going to have to ask you to leave.  I don't allow that sort of nonsense here.  So. Seriously?  I scrawled my contact info and a date and time on paper from a notepad I had in the car ("Are these coffee stains emobssed?") and handed them to the parents of the 3 kids she invited.  That's such a nice moment, really.  "Um, it's Lily's birthday on Friday?  And uh, I'm having some kids over on Saturday and I"m going to give them cake and fairy wings and toss them outside. Can you make it?"  The funny thing is how well they take it.  My favorite response was "Oh, now I feel so much better!"  Yeah, that's my place on earth.  To make other parents feel good about their pathetic efforts.
She wants a fairy dog cake.  Pink and blue.  You know and I know that I'll come through.  I just haven't figured out HOW.

 Tomorrow is her "birthday walk."  At Montessori schools, on a kid's birthday, they have them walk around "the sun" (light on the floor) one time for each year of their age.  As the kid walks, the teacher reads a little bit about what the child did in that year and has a pic to show.  I was trying to fill out the paper tonight.  I was hosed from the beginning. Weight at birth?  Length?  Time of birth?  I have. no. idea.  Not a clue.  I know she was born at night b/c the Sopranos were coming back that night and we missed it.  My doula missed a Sopranos party.  Stupid baby.  First word?  Mmmm...probably "meow" or "kitty" but I have no real idea.  It's not written down anywhere.  Steve was able to offer, "She smiled a lot."  I managed to remember she never crawled...The fate of the third child.  Each year, her birthday walk stats will be different b/c I'm just making them up to avoid leaving them blank and looking like a lame-o.

She informed me the other day that from now on "my sad face will also be my happy face because it hurts to go like this [smiles] and it doesn't hurt to scowl."

Three was flippin' adorable and I'm kind of sad to say good bye to three forever.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Lily!  I think creative birthday facts are the best.  

Anonymous said...

Oh Deana, I cannot belive Lily has a birthday. And I think you should be best friends with the mom who said "Oh, now I feel so much better!"  I am dying to see what kind of cake you come up with for a fairy dog cake.   As far as Lily's birth details can't you just rename her Meadow and be done with it? I think that would be a satisfying and lasting consequence to her bad timing.

Anonymous said...

Lily was born at 9:25 pm and weighed in at 9 lbs, 3 oz.  Now save that info. and you can use it next year!
Love,
Your friendly neighborhood doula.

Anonymous said...

I'll buy the 9:25, but no WAY did she weigh over 9 lbs.  She was anorexic.  And I know that I had leetle babies.  She was long and skinny.  I think you were just bitter about missing the Sopranos and wrote down any old thing.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FAIRY-GIRL...4, wow. So far I like 4, and since mine is a boy that's saying a lot!!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't keep us in suspense!! Fairy dog cake pics????

Followers